There are so many uses for coconut oil in your beauty routine, it’s hard to keep track! Nourishing, moisturizing, exfoliating…it could be the secret to the fountain of youth!
You can find coconut oil in your grocery store, but be sure to look for the organic variety. Our researchers suggest you look for a wide mouth jar of extra virgin that’s not been hydrogenated or refined in any way. You also should be sure that it is free of perfumes and dyes. In northern climates where it’s colder, the oil will be a solid. Simply scoop out a small amount and warm it by rubbing your palms together. It will liquefy almost immediately.
A Word of Coconut Caution…
A little coconut oil goes a long way. You skin can only absorb so much, so if you get carried away you’re going to wind up a greasy mess!
COCONUT OIL DIY
4 Beauty Tips using Coconut Oil
1. Lip Gel…Toss out those chemical sticks or jars you’re using and go natural with coconut oil. Swipe a small dab across your lips and pucker up. Your lips will be smooth, supple and kissably soft (and you won’t be ingesting any nasty chemicals)!
2. Skin Softener…Especially beneficial for those hard, tough patches on your feet and elbows, coconut oil moisturizes as it softens. Simply apply to the areas that need a little TLC.
3. Exfoliant…Blend coconut oil with an abrasive ingredient like salt or sugar for a luxurious home scrub. The blend will leave your skin smooth and soft and decrease the appearance of pores.
4. Soothing Chronic Skin Disorders…Anecdotal evidence suggests that chronic skin disorders like acne, psoriasis and eczema can be soothed with coconut oil. Scientific studies have yet to prove claims either way, but the fatty acids found in coconut oil have been shown to have strong disinfectant and antimicrobial properties. That means that they could fight an infection and smooth the appearance of affected skin.
COCONUT OIL RECIPE FOR SILKY SMOOTH SKIN
1. Mix 2 to 3 tablespoons of oats and coconut butter (the solid form of coconut oil) and place it in a reusable muslin bag (easily found on Amazon.com)
2. Heat the mixture in the microwave for 30 seconds or until it becomes a thick paste
3. Massage and roll the bag all around the body for silky smooth skin.
Taming the Frizz
Coconut oil has been used for years to help keep colored, heat-treated hair healthy and shiny. Apply a pea-sized amount to your ends (never the roots) before you dry and style your hair and your locks will be luscious! Or you can try this overnight treatment:
1. Rub raw organic coconut oil into the palms of your hands and work your way towards the end of your strands
2. Brush with a wide tooth comb, then put your hair in a ponytail or bun and cover it with a shower cap before bed
3. In the morning, rinse with shampoo and conditioner
This is all the rage with celebs like Gwyneth Paltrow and Shaliene Woodley (The Divergent Series). They swear by swishing coconut oil in your mouth for several minutes a day, believing that it may whiten your teeth and prevent tooth decay, bleeding gums, and cracked lips. Here’s how you can try this ancient Indian technique at home:
1. Swish 1 to 2 teaspoons of coconut oil in your mouth for 20 minutes, spit it out, and rinse with warm water
2. Brush well after rinsing
COCONUT OIL HEALTH BENEFITS
Due to its fatty acid content (lauric acid), coconut oil is also beneficial to the skin and body when used for cooking. Many medical professionals believe that a tablespoon a day can help lower the risk of heart disease and help reduce inflammation.
How do you use coconut oil in your beauty routine? Join the conversation and share your coconut oil stories below…
Are your HANDS giving away your AGE?! 3 Problems + Solutions!
11 Apr 2017
EAT THIS to Get Rid of Cellulite
28 Jan 2016
Are LIQUID FACELIFTS for Real?
28 Jan 2016